When you think about problems that you could have with the gas line in your home, you’re probably thinking of a problem like a natural gas leak. This is for a good reason. A natural gas leak is one of the worst things that can happen in your home. This is because carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. If this gas starts to leak in your home, it can increase slowly throughout time and you might not even be aware of the problem until it’s too late.
If you need gas services in Gainesville, FL, then it might be time for you to schedule an appointment with our team members. We’re going to make sure that your home is healthy and safe no matter what it takes.
Know Your Stuff
The first step to keeping your home safe from a potential leak is to know your stuff. We have an entire gas awareness page on our website where you can get more information to keep you and your loved ones safe, but we’re going to give you the crash course right here. Here are a few signs that you might have a gas leak—all you need to do is rely on your senses:
- Smell: Gas is odorless, but your local gas company places a chemical into this gas that makes it smell unpleasant. If you notice that your home has started to smell like rotten eggs for no particular reason, then it’s time to pick up the phone because you’ve probably got a gas leak on your hands.
- Sound: Do you hear something hissing or whistling around your home, but you can’t find the source? This might actually be a problem with a gas leak happening in your home. The high pressurized gas can actually cause an odd sound like this as it escapes.
- Sight: This is probably one you haven’t thought of—but any dead or brown vegetation on your property with no explanation can point to the sign of a gas leak.
If you’re still confused about anything or want some pointers for your home specifically, you can schedule an appointment with our professionals.
Have the Right Appliances
The next thing that you need to do is have the right appliances in your home. We’re talking about a carbon monoxide detector of course. A carbon monoxide detector can literally be a life saver in your home. Its job is to alert you to indoor gas leaks in any area of your home before they become a bigger issue that you can damage.
If you think that you might have a gas leak in your home, then you should:
- Move to a safe environment
- Call your gas provider and/or 911 in the case of an emergency
- Don’t operate electrical switches or appliances
We’re here to help. If you ever want more pointers on what to do in the case of an emergency, you can come to our professionals for the work you need.
Contact Affinity Gas Services today to schedule an appointment with our professionals. The Gas Efficiency Experts.